St. Peter's Lutheran Church, OttawaEdit profile
St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Ottawa, Ontario was established in 1910 with 66 members. The first building was erected on Lyon Street and dedicated on Easter Sunday in 1914. The early members were predominantly of European origin, whether residents of Ottawa, recent immigrants, or arrivals from neighbouring towns and rural communities.
After many years of financial hardship, the congregation gradually increased and outgrew its church building. The present building was dedicated in 1954. It is situated on Ottawa's ceremonial route and overlooks the Garden of the Provinces, the Ottawa River and the Gatineau Hills. St. Peter's is an Ottawa landmark, designed in traditional Gothic style, the architect was Cecil Burgess. The sandstone was cut from the same quarry as stone used for the Parliament buildings.
The most significant interior features are the Casavant organ, installed in 1977, and a cycle of stained glass windows, created by Canadian artist Russell Goodman between 1985 and 1993. The windows focus on the life of Christ and the Lutheran heritage.