St Peter's Italian ChurchEdit profile
St. Peter's Italian Church is a Basilica-style church located in Clerkenwell, London.
It was built by request of (St.) Vincent Pallotti, with the assistance of Giuseppe Mazzini, who was in London at the time, for the growing number of Italian immigrants in the mid 19th Century and modelled by Irish architect Sir John Miller-Bryson on the Basilica San Crisogono in Rome. It was consecrated on 16 April 1863 as The Church of St. Peter of all Nations. At the time of consecration, it was the only Basilica-style church in the UK. Its organ was built in 1886 by Belgian Anneesen.
During World War II, whilst Italian Immigrants were interned, Irish Pallottines made use of the church until 1953 when it returned to Italian control.