St Peter's Church, OughtringtonEdit profile
St Peter's Church, Oughtrington is in the settlement of Oughtrington to the east of the village of Lymm, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building, and an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Bowdon. Its benefice is combined with that of St Werburgh, Warburton.History
The church was built in 1871–72 at the expense of C. G. Dewhurst, the architects being Slater and Carpenter. Initially a chapel of ease in the parish of St Mary's Church, Lymm, it became a separate parish in 1881. In 1932 a Lady Chapel was created in the north aisle to celebrate the jubilee.Architecture
It is built in grey snecked rubble sandstone with grey slate roofs. Its plan consists of a five-bay nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, an apsidal chancel, a south vestry, a south porch and a northeast tower with a spire. At the west end is a rose window above four lancet windows. The tower has a square base over which is an octagonal belfry surrounded by pinnacles, and a stone spire. The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner considered that the spire is too thin for such a substantial church and that the pinnacles are "unjustifiable". The stained glass in the apse, dated 1894, and in one of the windows in the south aisle is by Kempe, and the stained glass in the windows at the west end, dated 1907, is by A. K. Nicholson.