St. Paul's Church, ShadwellEdit profile
Coordinates: 51°30′34″N 0°3′9″W / 51.50944°N 0.0525°W / 51.50944; -0.0525
St Paul's Church, Shadwell, is a historic church, located between The Highway and Shadwell Basin, on the edge of Wapping, in the East End of London, England. The church has had varying fortunes over many centuries, and is now very active, having been supported recently by Holy Trinity Brompton Church.History
The old parish church, traditionally known as the Church of Sea Captains, was built in 1656, and rebuilt in 1669 as the Parish Church of Shadwell.
John Wesley used to preach there, and Captain James Cook worshipped at the church; James Cook, eldest son of the Captain, was baptised there in 1763. There is a board outside with a full roll of honour, including Cook's name.
Also baptised there were William Henry Perkin, the English chemist who discovered the first aniline dye, and Jane Randolph, mother of Thomas Jefferson.
The church was demolished in 1817 and the present building, a Waterloo church designed by John Walters, was erected in 1820.St Paul's today
In January 2005, a team from the congregation of Holy Trinity Brompton moved to Shadwell to minister with the existing members of St. Paul's in serving the local area. This follows a number of similar church plants from Holy Trinity Brompton to declining churches around London with the support of the Bishop of London.
Reverend Ric Thorpe was licensed as the new Priest-in-Charge on January 20, 2005 with Reverend Jez Barnes assisting him as the Associate Pastor.New five:30 service
In October 2009, the usual 6pm evening service took on some warm adjustments, featuring the welcoming setting of a cafe, nice lighting and hot beverages.