St Paul's Church, BoughtonEdit profile
St Paul's Church, Boughton, overlooks the River Dee in the city of Chester, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Chester. In the series Buildings of England, the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner stated that he regarded it as "the boldest of Douglas' church designs".History
The first church on the site was built in 1830 in stuccoed brick. Its style was Italianate with round-headed windows and a northwest campanile. The architect was William Cole the younger. It was virtually rebuilt in 1876 to a design by John Douglas, who added the south aisle in 1902, and the spire in 1905.Architecture
The church is built in red brick with stone dressings and in timber framing with brick and plaster panels. The roof has grey and grey-green slates. Its plan consists of a through nave and chancel of four bays plus an apsidal bay, a south aisle, a west porch and a broach spire at the west end.Interior
Pevsner commented that the strength of the interior lies in its timber-work. The walls are decorated with stencilled patterns in the Arts and Crafts manner. The wrought iron screen is also in Arts and Crafts style. The stained glass dated 1887 in the north aisle is by Kempe and that in the baptistry is by Frampton. The rest of the stained glass was designed by Burne-Jones and made by Morris & Co. The three-manual organ was built by James J. Binns of Leeds.