St. Paul ChurchEdit profile
The St. Paul Church (Over-the-Rhine) was a Roman Catholic Church located in the St. Paul Church Historic District at the SE corner of East 12th and Spring Streets, in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The congregation was first organized in the winter of 1847-48. The original church was dedicated: January 20, 1850. St Paul's was organized to take care of the members of the Old St. Mary's Church, who lived east of Clay Street. It was a German speaking parish. The Parish owes its founding to Father Joseph Ferneding.
This brick Romanesque structure has broad Doric pilasters set in its corners and between its tall, round arched windows. It has a Renaissance tower capped with a Pope's Mitre cupola roof and gilded cross. The three arched doorways face Spring Street.
A fire in 1899 destroyed all but the church walls and stained glass windows. The large stained glass windows were made in Germany. Reconstruction began at once, and on October 7, 1900, the new St. Paul's was dedicated. Light fills the interior and the proscenium is supported by twelve Corinthian columns.
The church was deconsecrated in 1974 and was named to the National Register of Historic Places that same year. In 1981, The Verdin Company, a bell and clock company, purchased the church, convent, schools, and rectory. The buildings were restored and the church was transformed into a bell and clock museum/showroom. The other buildings were transformed into art galleries.
The records for this parish are located at Old St. Mary's Church.