St Pancras, Soper LaneEdit profile
St Pancras, Soper Lane was a former church in the City of London. The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of London. 86 churches were destroyed in the Great Fire of London. In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but St Pancras, Soper Lane in Cheap Ward in Vintry Ward was one of the minority never to be rebuilt.. For many decades a comfortably wealthy foundation, by 1598 the parish had fallen on such hard times it had to sell a broken bell for scrap. Rebuilt in 1299, following the fire it was united to St Mary-le-Bow and partial records still survive at IGI..