St Nicholas Shambles
St Nicholas Shambles was a mediaeval church in the City of London. It was on the corner of Butcher Hall Lane (now King Edward St) and Newgate St. The site was extensively excavated in the 1970s in preparation for the GPO headquarters, now the BT Centre, the headquarters of BT Group. First mentioned as St. Nicholas de Westrnacekaria , in 1253 Walter de Cantilupe, Bishop of Worcester granted indulgences to its parishioners . It took its name from the Shambles, the butchers area in the west of Newgate St. At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries it was demolished and the parish united in 1547 with St Sepulchre-without-Newgate . In 1975 the site was excavated and many significant finds were made

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via