St. Nicholas' Church, BratislavaEdit profile
St. Nicholas' Church in Bratislava is the orthodox church situated on the castle hill next to the Bratislava Castle. The church was built in 1661 by Paul Pálffy‘s (1589 - 1655) widow Countess Frances, née Khuen ( † 1672). It is an early baroque building built on the place of original Gothic church below the Bratislava Castle. The church is consecrated to St. Nicholas, the patron of sailors. His statue is situated in the stone niche above the main entrance to the church.
The church was originally Roman Catholic and belonged to the St. Martin's Roman Catholic parish. As it was no more used in the beginning of the 20th century, the building was given to the Greek Catholic Church. After the fire in 1945 the Greek Catholic Parish in Bratislava reconstructed the church (during the years 1945-1950). The reconstruction was led by Father Jozef Haľko.
In 1950 began the violent persecution of the Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia and the St. Nicholas' church was given to the Orthodox Church.