St Mildred, PoultryEdit profile
Coordinates: 51°30′43″N 0°5′20″W / 51.51194°N 0.08889°W / 51.51194; -0.08889
St Mildred, Poultry was a church in the City of London beside the Walbrook stream. In 1871 it was sold for development and demolished the following year, uniting with St Olave Old Jewry, and when that too ceased to a viable parish, St Margaret Lothbury.History
It was on the north side of the Poultry at its junction with Mansion House Street in Cheap, one of the 25 wards of the City of London. The first church can be traced back to 1175, in the reign of Henry the Second; it was largely rebuilt in 1450. Destroyed in the Great Fire of London, it was again rebuilt during 1670-1676 by Christopher Wren,, and subsumed St Mary Colechurch.
Many of its records survive and have been catalogued.
A City Corporation Plaque commemorates the site.
St Mildred in the Poultry was the burial place of the writer Thomas Tusser. Some description of the church and its monuments is given in John Stow's Survey of London.Rectors (incomplete list)
- 1523-1527 John Smith
- 1541 John Weale
- 1590-1617 Thomas Sorocold
- 1618-1638 Nathaniel Shute
- 1638, ejected Richard Maden
- 1645-6 Henry Scudder as minister
- 1661-1673 Richard Perrinchief, Archdeacon of Huntingdon
- 1673-1696 John Williams
- 1726-1748 William Wallis
- 1748-1775 Benjamin (John) Newcombe, Dean of Rochester
- 1775-1806 Robert Bromley