St Michael Wood Street

Described by Stow (1598) as a “proper thing” St Michael’s Wood Street in Cripplegate Ward (one of 25 within the City of London) was the hurried burial site for the head of King James IV of Scotland (Huelin, 1996). First mentioned in 1225 (Harben,1919) the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London (Reynolds, 1922) and rebuilt after some pressure (Hallows, 1974) by Sir Christopher Wren in 1673 (Whinney,1971). The organ was built by Elliot in 1800 (Pearce, 1909) . In 1854 the declining residential population lead to proposals to reduce the number of churches within the “Square Mile” (Times, 1854)- a decision the churches vicar had himself proposed (Hume,1853). The church was eventually demolished under the auspices of the Union of Benifices Act (Hibbert) in 1897 (Cobb) and many bodies were disinterred from the churchyard and reburied at Brookwood Cemetery (Clarke). It was then united with St Alban Wood Street (Norman,1902) and after the destruction of that church in World War II, St Vedast Foster Lane (Betjeman, 1972)

The church was on the west side of Wood Street, initially with a frontage on Huggin Lane but later on Wood Street itself.

Bibliography
  • Betjeman, J: The City of London Churches (Andover, Pitkin, 1972) ISBN 0853721122
  • Clarke,J.M: The Brookwood Necroplois Railway (Oasdale, Usk, 2006) ISBN 9780853616559
  • Cobb,G: The Old Churches of London (London, Batsford, 1942)
  • Church of England, Parish of St. Michael Wood Street. - Assessment of the annual tithes of the joint parishes of St. Michael Wood St, 1671. - M0014588CL cited in City of London Parish Registers Guide 4 Hallows,A.(Ed): (London, Guildhall Library Research, 1974) ISBN 0900422300
  • Harben, H.A: A Dictionary of London, London, Herbert Jenkins, 1922
  • Huelin, G.: Vanished churches of the City of London” London, Guildhall Library Publishing 1996ISBN 0900422424
  • Hume, C Proposal for supplying the Suburbs of London with some of the Churches not required in the City. (London, 1853)
  • Norman, P: On the destroyed church of St. Michael Wood street in the city of London (London, The Society, 1902)
  • Pearce, C.W. Notes on Old City Churches: their organs, organists and musical associations (London, Winthrop Rogers Ltd 1909)
  • Stow, J A A Survey of London (W.Thoms,Ed): (London, A Whittaker & Co, 1842- rev of 1598)
  • Proposed Removal Of Thirty City Churches in The Times, Wednesday 4 January 1854; pg. 5; Issue 21629; col F
  • Whinney, M: Wren (London Thames & Hudson, 1971) ISBN 0500201129
  • Hibbert,C;Weinreb,D;Keay,J The London Encyclopaedia (London, Pan Macmillan, 1983 (rev 1993,2008) ISBN 978-1-4050-4924-5)

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com