St Michael-le-Querne
St Michael-le-Querne was a church in the City of London.

Its dedication derives from an 12th century reference to it being near a place “where corn is sold" . Rebuilt in 1430 , and beautified in 1617 , the parish officers were re-appointed for the last time in July 1666 .

The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of London. By September 6 the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed. In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but St Michael-le-Querne immediately to the north east of Paternoster Row in Farringdon Within Ward was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt. Following the fire it was united to St Vedast Foster Lane and partial records still survive at IGI. .

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via