St. Michael, Crooked LaneEdit profile
Coordinates: 51°51′01.36″N 0°5′20.89″W / 51.8503778°N 0.0891361°W / 51.8503778; -0.0891361
St Michael, Crooked Lane was an “antient” parish church situated on the east side of Miles' Lane, Great Eastcheap in Candlewick Ward, rebuilt in 1687 by Sir Christopher Wren after the Great Fire of London, only to be sacrificed in 1831 when the wider approaches needed for the rebuilt London Bridge required its demolition. It was also within this parish that the first cases of The Plague occurred in 1665.
First mentioned in the 13th century, it was fortunate to have in quick succession two influential Lord Mayors as its benefactor: firstly John Loveken and then William Walworth, the nemesis of Wat Tyler. The church, one of 13 peculiarities within the “Square Mile”, seems from scrutiny of the Parish books to have been a particularly idiosyncratic parish:
- The Worshipful Company of Plumbers, whose livery church it was, held the church in enormous regard
- Vestry business was usually conducted in the nearby Boar’s Head Tavern
- On one occasion a careless parishioner somehow contrived to blow up the crypt
- Even the churchyard was a place of interest
United with St Magnus the Martyr, a stained glass window can still be seen at that church commemorating the former parish. Partial records exist and can be accessed through the IGI.