St Michael and All Angels Church, Little Leigh

Edit profile
St Michael and All Angels Church, Little Leigh
St Michael and All Angels Church, Little Leigh, is in the village of Little Leigh, Cheshire, England ( grid reference SJ615759 ). The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Great Budworth. Its benefice is united with those of St Peter, Aston, St Mark, Antrobus, and St Luke, Lower Whitley.

The church was built in 1879 to a design by Edmund Kirby. Before the church was built, a chapel stood in what is now the churchyard.


The church is built in "fiery orange" brick with terracotta dressings. The roof is of Welsh slate with an orange tile ridge. The plan of the church consists of a four- bay nave with short transepts, a one-bay chancel, a south porch and a spire at the crossing. It is in Gothic style. The bays of the nave are divided alternately by buttresses and triangular-headed pilasters between which are paired lancet windows. The spire is a large fl├Ęche with wooden louvred bell-openings on each face. Above these are lucarnes, a lead finial and a weathercock.

The interior of the church is brick and terracotta throughout. In the chancel is a three-seat sedilia with a lancet above each seat. The reredos depicts the Last Supper in terracotta. The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner considered that the east window is over-large, but very successful.

External features
The lychgate is dated 1882 and is listed Grade II. It consists of open timber framing and a hipped Lakeland slate roof.