St Matthew's Church, HaslingtonEdit profile
St Matthew's Church, Haslington, is in the village of Haslington, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Nantwich. Its benefice is combined with that of St Michael and All Angels, Crewe Green.History
The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner described this as a church of "two builds", both of which are "handsome". The west part was built in 1810. The east end was built in 1909 and was designed by Reginald T. Longden.Architecture
The church is built in brown brick with a slate roof. Its plan consists of a three-bay nave and a chancel. The entrance is at the west end through a gabled porch. The doors are in a semicircular arched doorway above which is a lunette window, and over that is a clock face in the tympanum. On the top of the gable and slightly recessed is a timber louvred bell turret with a lead ogee cupola. The nave windows have semicircular heads. The flat-headed east window has seven lights.Interior
The reredos is in oak and has a frieze with a grapevine motif. The carved communion rail is in Gothic style. The nave walls have wainscotting to a dado height. The organ was built in 1900 in Steele and Keay, and rebuilt in 1967 by Reeves.