St Mary Woolchurch HawEdit profile
The St Mary Woolchurch Haw is a former church in the City of London. The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of London. By September 6 the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed. In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but St Mary Woolchurch Haw where the Mansion House, London now stands in Walbrook Ward was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt. Described by Stow as a “reasonably fair and large” , its dedication was derived from the wool that was weighed from its main cross beam . It was a much loved church . Following the fire it was united to St Mary Woolnoth and quickly became a thriving concern . Partial records still survive at IGI. .