St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and RectoryEdit profile
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and Rectory are located in downtown Rochester, New York.
St. Mary's Parish was created in 1834 as Rochester's second Roman Catholic parish, after St. Patrick's Parish.
The cornerstone of the church was blessed 18 September 1853 by Bishop of Buffalo John Timon (the Diocese of Rochester was not formed until 1868). The building was dedicated, with Timon presiding, on 24 October 1858. The architect of the church is unknown, but design influences of Richard Upjohn and other church architects are apparent.
A brick rectory was built in 1905, replacing an earlier rectory.
A spire and bell tower, designed by Richard B. Arnold were added in 1939-1940. The north tower may have been intended to have a spire originally, but financial difficulties may have precluded adding it earlier.
The church and rectory were added to the National Register of Historic Places on 12 March 1992.