St Mary's Church, LymmEdit profile
St Mary's Church, Lymm, is in the village of Lymm, Cheshire, England, standing on a bank overlooking Lymm Dam. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Great Budworth.History
The Domesday Book shows that a church was on the site in the 11th century. Since then it has been rebuilt a number of times. The present church was built in 1850–52 to a design by John Dobson of Newcastle. The nave and aisles from an older church dating from the 15th century were blown up with gunpowder prior to the rebuilding. Alterations and additions were made to the church in 1870–72 by the Chester architect John Douglas, including an organ chamber and the reredos. The tower was replaced in 1888–90 by J. S. Crowther.Architecture
The church is built in buff sandstone. Its plan consists of a west tower, a five-bay nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, a north porch, transepts, a chancel, and a vestry. The tower is in three stages with diagonal buttresses and an embattled top. Its west window is in Perpendicular style, and the bell-openings are paired with panel tracery.Interior
The chancel has a panelled ceiling, and the transepts contain galleries. The plain pulpit is dated 1623. In the south aisle is a mural painting dated 1883. In an ogee-headed tomb recess taken from an older church dating from around 1322 is an object which has been reputed to be a Roman altar. The stained glass in the east window is dated 1865. Three windows in the south aisle are by Wailes, and one window in the north aisle is by Kempe. Memorials in the church include memorials to John Leigh, of Oughtrington Hall, who died in 1806, and his wife who died in 1819, and two tablets to members of the Fox family who died between 1830 and 1845. and a wooden memorial to William Domvylle (of Lymm Hall) who died in 1686. Lymm's parish registers, now housed at Cheshire Record Office, provide records of the inhabitants of Lymm since the Reformation, including notable local families such as the Booths. Also in the church are 18th-century hatchments, and two churchwardens' staves dating from the early 19th century. The previous pipe organ was built in 1858 by Forster and Andrews, and rebuilt in 1944 by Jardine. The present electronic organ, built by the local organ-builder Hugh Banton, was installed in 2005. The ring consists of eight bells which were cast in 1891 by John Taylor and Company.