St Mary's Church, HaltonEdit profile
St Mary's Church, Halton, is in Halton, which was formerly a separate village, but is now part of the town of Runcorn, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Frodsham.History
A chapel had been associated with Halton Castle for many centuries but by the end of the Civil War it was in ruins. It had been situated just below the castle walls, a plain, square building with a bellcote on its eastern gable. Its repair was beyond the financial means of the congregation and a petition was made to the bishop for funds. Enough money was provided to rebuild the chapel and this remained in use until the middle of the 19th century. By 1847 the roof was in need of a major repair and within four years it was decided that a new church was needed. The money for this was provided by Sir Richard Brooke of Norton Priory. Sir George Gilbert Scott was appointed as the architect, and the church was consecrated on 12 November 1852. Halton had formerly been a chapel of ease to the parish church of Runcorn, but in June 1860 it became a separate parish.Architecture
The church is built in local red sandstone with a slate roof. Its plan consists of a four-bay nave with north and south aisles, a south porch and a chancel which has its roof at a lower level. On the east gable of the nave is an octagonal bell-turret. To the north of the chancel is the organ chamber and to its south is a memorial chapel.Interior
Wagon roofs cover the nave and the chancel. The reredos is of marble. The oak benches are carved with poppyheads. A stained glass window in the north aisle is by Henry Holiday and depicts Christ and the children. A monument to Sir Richard Brooke dated 1889 by Douglas & Fordham consists of a tablet with a stylized cross in a foliage frame.