St. Mary's Church, DublinEdit profile
St. Mary's Church, Dublin is a former Church of Ireland building in Mary Street, Dublin.The Church
Dating from the 17th century, the building was designed by Sir William Robinson, and is notable as the first Dublin church to be built with galleries.
The organ of the church was built by Renatus Harris.Arthur Guinness was married here in 1761, and the baptisms of Theobald Wolfe Tone (1763) and Sean O'Casey (1880) also took place here.
The church closed in 1986 and became a retail outlet. It was later converted to use as a pub and restaurant. Originally named the "John M. Keating Bar", the pub changed hands in 2007 and is now simply called "The Church".The Churchyard
The adjoining churchyard was converted into a public park, Wolfe Tone Park, where the gravestones can be seen stacked up at the southern end.
It is the final resting place of such luminaries as the United Irishman Archibald Hamilton Rowan (1751-1734), Mary Mercer, founder of Mercer's Hospital (died 1734), the philosopher Francis Hutcheson (1694-1746) and Lord Norbury (1745–1831) (known colloquially as the hanging judge).Bibliography
- The Writings of Theobald Wolfe Tone 1763–98: Volume One Tone's Career in Ireland to June 1795 Volume Two America, France and Bantry Bay — August 1795 to December 1796 and Volume Three France, the Rhine, Lough Swilly and Death of Tone — January 1797 to November 1798.