St Mary's Church, Bramall LaneEdit profile
St Mary's Church, Bramall Lane, is a Church of England church in the City of Sheffield, England. It is one of three churches that were built in Sheffield under the Church Building Act 1818 (the other two being St George's Church, Portobello and St Phillip's Church, Netherthorpe), and is the only one still to be used as a church. The church was designed by Joseph Potter and cost £13,927 (£1,020,000 as of 2011). A grant of £13,941 was received from the Church Building Commission to cover the cost of building and other expenses. The foundation stone was laid on 12 October 1826 by the Countess of Surrey, and the church was consecrated on 21 July 1830.
The church is built in the Perpendicular style, with a 140 feet (43 m) high tower, It was damaged by bombing during the "Sheffield Blitz" and when restored was divided: the chancel and two east bays of the nave remain in use as a church, the rest of the building is used as a community centre. It is a Grade II* listed building.