St Mary MoorfieldsEdit profile
Coordinates: 51°31′7.64″N 0°5′8.57″W / 51.5187889°N 0.0857139°W / 51.5187889; -0.0857139
St Mary Moorfields is a Roman Catholic church in the City of London. The present building, located at 4-5 Eldon Street, was opened in 1903. However, the foundation had a long history prior to this. A chapel was opened in 1686, but was suspended in 1689, in the aftermath of the Revolution of 1688.
From 1736 there was a chapel in Ropemaker's Alley, but in 1780 it too fell prey to anti-Catholic sentiment when its fabric and furniture were destroyed in the Gordon Riots. It was succeeded first by a chapel in White Street, then in 1820 by a large Classical church in Finsbury Square, which became Cardinal Wiseman's pro-cathedral from 1850 to 1869. This building was sold and demolished in 1900.
The church serves as a hub for evangelism, especially directed at young people who work in the Financial District environs (City of London). The church is affiliated with the St Francis of Assisi Ramblers and also hosts monthly Opus Dei meetings.