St Mary BothawEdit profile
A former church in the City of London also referred to as St Mary by the Erber. The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of London. By 6 September the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed. In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but St Mary Bothaw on the south side of Cannon Street in Dowgate Ward was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt. . Described by Stow as a “proper church" , its dedication derived from “berthage”, that is it was near a place where ships berthed . It was one of the 13 peculiars within the City and as such came under the patronage of Canterbury Cathedral . Although small it contained the tomb of Henry Fitz-Ailwin de Londonestone , first Lord Mayor of London . Following the fire it was united to St Swithin, London Stone (part of whose materials it incorporated) . Partial records still survive at IGI. .