St Martin PomaryEdit profile
St Martin Pomary was a church in the City of London. The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of London. By September 6, following the Great Fire, the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed. In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but St Martin Pomary on the east side of Ironmonger Lane, Cheapside in Cheap Ward was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt. Its dedication derives from a Latin reference to it being “an open space near a boundary wall" . Its patronage was originally in the hands of the Prior of St Bartholomew-the-Great , but by 1547 it was a discrete parish confident enough to remove its crucifix and replace it with the Royal Arms. In 1627 much of the north wall had to be rebuilt but following the fire it was united to St Olave Jewry (part of whose churchyard it shared) . Partial records still survive at IGI. .