St Lucian Tower

St Lucian Tower is a fortification on the island of Malta that stands above the shore of Marsaxlokk Bay on the headland between Marsaxlokk and Birzebbuga.

It was built by the Knights of Malta between 1610 and 1611 and is one of a series of Wignacourt towers.

The British substantially extended it and the original tower now forms the core of a Victorian era fortress. The tower is surrounded by a rock cut ditch, with caponiers, a sunken gate, and a curved entrance ramp.

On the seaward side the tower has been extended to form a low battery, with three large casemates facing out across Marsaxlokk bay towards Fort Delimara.

St Lucian forms part of a ring of Victorian fortresses that protected Marsaxlokk bay, a ring that that also included Fort Delimara, Fort Tas-Silg and Fort Benghisa.

The fort is now the base of The Malta Centre For Fisheries Sciences.

It is generally in good repair, though the ditch is somewhat overgrown. The casemates are empty, the guns long gone.

Images - Wignacourt Tower
  • South face of the tower

  • View from the south

  • View from seaward

Images - Victorian Fort
  • Ditch and caponier

  • Gatehouse and ditch

  • Battery

  • Casemate

Coordinates: 35°49′49″N 14°32′37″E / 35.83028°N 14.54361°E / 35.83028; 14.54361

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via