St. Laurence's Church, NorthfieldEdit profile
St. Laurence's Church, Northfield is a parish church in the Church of England in Northfield, Birmingham.History
The Grade I listed church dates from the 12th century and contains some of the finest Early English work in the county. It also has a rare 14th-century timber porch outside the south door.
The north aisle was added in 1900 by George Frederick Bodley.
The gridiron associated with the martyrdom of St. Laurence can be seen in the stonework of the church tower.Patronage
Keble College, Oxford own the Advowson to the Rectory.Bells
The ring of eight bells was increased to ten on 20 November 1999. At the same time a new ground floor ringing chamber was created at the foot of the tower.
The beautiful depth of colour and ornate designs of the windows are masterpieces contributed to the work of Hardman & Co. They also designed and made stained glass windows for St. Andrew's Cathedral and St. Mary's Cathedrals in Sydney, Australia as well as for the Houses of Parliament in London, including a window in the House of Lords'. Almost all of the windows in this historic Church of St. Laurence are by Hardman, replicating 13th century stained glass designs accurately through expert techniques and attention to detail. Hardman's windows include the subjects of: The Passion of Christ, The Resurrection, The Adoration, The Nativity, The Presentation in the temple before Simeon, The Annunciation, The decent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles, Our Lord's appearance to St. Thomas, The Transfiguration, Walking on the waters of the Sea of Galilee, Raising of Lazarus, to name but a few. There is also a window by Pugin and Kempe.
The church tower and the Chancel date back to the 12th/13th century AD. There is a Lady Chapel dedicated in the South Aisle and a chapel dedicated to St. Laurence in the North Aisle. The site of this Norman church was probably the previous location of a Saxon church as a Priest was mentioned here in "Nordfeld" in the Domesday Book of 1086.External Sites