St Laurence PountneyEdit profile
St Laurence Pountney was a former church in the City of London. The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of London. By September 6 the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed. In 1667 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but St Laurence Pountney in Candlewick Street in Candlewick Ward was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt. . It was one of the first to perish and many felt it had been helped on its way . Following the fire it was united to St Mary Abchurch and partial records still survive at IGI .