St Katherine Coleman

St Katherine Coleman, known earlier as "All Hallows Coleman-church", was an historic church in the City of London, situated in Magpie Alley(on the south side of Fenchurch Street) in Aldgate Ward that narrowly escaped the Great Fire of London, and was extensively rebuilt in 1741. Erected “at the expence of the parish” to a “vernacular palladian” design by James Horne, it was never regarded as one of the more spectacular City churches and was designated for amalgamation under the Union of Benefices Act 1860 , but soldiered on until 1926.The final service was held on November 20, a joyous occasion (as reported in the City Press) after which it was quickly demolished.Pevsner found a pair of 18th Century gates that had belonged to the churchyard in nearby St Katherine’s Row.Money raised by the sale was used to erect a new church in Fulham.

After the clearance of the graveyard, the burials were re-inhumed at City of London Cemetery.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com