St. Just in Penwith Parish ChurchEdit profile
St. Just in Penwith Parish Church is a parish church in the Church of England located in St Just in Penwith, Cornwall, UK.
The church is Anglo-Catholic and under the care of the Bishop of Ebbsfleet rather than the Bishop of Truro.History
The church of St Just is medieval. There are no remains of the early medieval church and only part of the chancel remains from the church built in 1334 which was dedicated on 13 July 1336 by the Bishop of Exeter, John Grandisson. The current building dates from the 15th century. In 1355 the church was given to Glasney College by Sir John de Beaupre together with the church lands of Lafrowda. In 1478 the bones of St Justus the Martyr were believed to lie in the church. Medieval chapels in the parish included a chapel of St Helen at Cape Cornwall and a chapel of St Michael on Chapel Carn Brea.Description
The church is large and built of regular granite blocks. Both the body of the church and the tower are of the 15th century and the tower is of three stages. The aisles are built to the same design with alternating windows of two different patterns. The arcades have limestone piers. The font is modern but has been described as 14th century in date. Two medieval wall paintings remain but they are both heavily restored; one portrays St George and the other a warning to breakers of the Sabbath.Antiquities
The Selus Stone is thought to date from the late 5th or early 6th centuries. It bears the Latin inscription Selus Ic Iacet (Selus lies here). This is thought to refer to Salomon of Cornwall, otherwise known as Saint Selevan.
Langdon (1896) recorded the existence of six stone crosses in the parish, including two at the vicarage and two at Kenidjack.