St John the Evangelist's Church, WarringtonEdit profile
St John the Evangelist's Church, Warrington is in Walton, Warrington, Cheshire, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It was built as a private estate church towards the end of the 19th century but is now an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Great Budworth.History
The church was built in 1885 to serve the Walton Hall estate of the Greenall family, brewers and distillers. It was built at the expense of Sir Gilbert Greenall and designed by Paley and Austin.Architecture
The church is built in red snecked sandstone with Westmorland green slate roofs. Its plan is cruciform with a three-bay nave, north and south transepts, a two-bay chancel, a south vestry, and a south porch. The tower is in four stages with chequerwork in its third stage, a recessed octagonal spire and an octagonal north west stair turret. The porch consists of an oak frame on a 6 feet (2 m) sandstone plinth. The church is in Decorated style.Interior
The nave and chancels have barrel roofs. On the south side of the chancel is sedilia. The reredos contains a carving of the Crucifixion. The font is marble, and the pulpit is built of oak on a stone base. The floors are tiled. The stained glass includes a window in the south transept dated 1929 by Morris and Co. and elsewhere by Shrigley and Hunt.External features
The lych gate dating from around 1885 is built in red sandstone with a Westmorland green slate roof and half-timbered gables on brackets. It was built at the expense of Sir Gilbert Greenall and was probably designed by Paley and Austin. It is listed Grade II.