St John the Evangelist's Church, NorleyEdit profile
St John the Evangelist's Church, Norley, stands to the west of the village of Norley, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Frodsham. Its benefice is combined with those of Christ Church, Crowton, and St John the Evangelist, Kingsley.History
The first church to be erected on the site was a chapel of ease erected in 1833 and consecrated on 24 February 1835. The church was built in 1878–79 and designed by J. L. Pearson. The land for the original church had been given by Samuel Woodhouse of Norley Hall. The new church cost £3,500 (£260,000 as of 2011).Architecture
The church is built in tooled ashlar red sandstone with a red tile roof. Its style is that of the later 13th century. Its plan consists of a four-bay nave, a north aisle, a two-bay chancel and a vestry, a central tower, a north transept and a south porch which is approached by 11 steps. The nave and the tower have two-light windows. Above the tower window is a clock face and above this is a pair of two-light louvred bell openings. At the top of the tower is a plain parapet. The chancel windows are lancets and at the east end are three tall windows. The window in the north wall of the transept is more ornate than that in the south wall of the tower. In the chancel is a simple sedilia and an oak reredos. In the transept is a Willis organ which was restored in 1985 by David Wells. The font is square and probably came from the older church.External features
In the churchyard is a memorial to the Woodhouse family with an earliest date of 1840. It is constructed in ashlar limestone on a red sandstone base and includes marble plaques. It is a large monument standing about three metres high. On its top is a sarcophagus on claw feet. It is listed Grade II.