St John the Evangelist's Church, ByleyEdit profile
St John the Evangelist's Church, Byley, is in the small village of Byley, Cheshire, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Middlewich. Its benefice is combined with that of St Michael and All Angels, Middlewich. The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner regarded it as being "really very ugly" with a "minimum of motifs, but a maximum of materials".History
The church was built as a Commissioners' Church in 1847 to a design by J. Matthews. It cost £1,000 (£70,000 as of 2011), the Church Building Commission giving a grant of £75 towards this.Architecture
The church is built in brick and stone with a roof of tiles. Its plan consists of a four-bay nave, a three-bay chancel which is narrower and less lofty than the nave, a north porch and a southeast tower. The tower has a stone parapet and a steep pyramidal roof. On the west end gable is a bellcote. The organ was built in 1860 by the Imperial Pipe Organ Company.