St John the Evangelist's Church, AlvanleyEdit profile
St John the Evangelist's Church, Alvanley is in the village of Alvanley, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Frodsham.History
The church was built in 1860 to a design by J. S. Crowther at the expense of Catherine Emma Arden, the youngest daughter of Richard Arden, 1st Baron Alvanley.Architecture
The church is built in red sandstone with gabled grey slate roofs in early Decorated style. Its plan consists of four-bay nave with north and south aisles under separate roofs, and a chancel with a north vestry. At the west is a corbelled belfry with small steeple containing two bells. In the church is a wooden board giving the list of curates since 1677 and vicars since 1861.External features
In the churchyard are two tombs which are listed Grade II.