St John the Baptist upon Walbrook

Edit profile
St John the Baptist upon Walbrook
St John the Baptist upon Walbrook was a church in the City of London, so named because a small stream ran past its west wall.

History
First mentioned in the 12th Century, the parish was renovated in 1621.

Destruction
The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of London. . Destroyed in the Great Fire of London, by September 6 the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed. In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but St John the Baptist in Walbrook Ward was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt. Following the fire it was united to St Antholin, Budge Row. Partial records still survive at IGI.