St John's College, Oxford - Kendrew Quadrangle Old BuildingsEdit profile
Following an extensive master planning exercise St John’s College Oxford commissioned Dunthorne Parker Architects to design and project manage the radical refurbishment and upgrading of a group of Grade II Listed Buildings facing on to St Giles. This was to be the first phase of The Kendrew Quadrangle, a separate commission that, in a new building, would accommodate additional student, library and arts facilities.
The three buildings that were the subject of the first phase are:
No 20 St Giles, a fine Regency (1820s) house which was entirely restored to its former glory. Original doorways, windows and cornices were carefully restored and with sensitive additions it now provides six alumni en-suite bedrooms, a common room for emeritus and honorary fellows and a new garden reception room. Externally the building was stripped of damaging cement render and re-finished in lime render.
The Black Hall, dating from 1678, has been restored as teaching and tutorial accommodation with meeting rooms on the ground floor. The original oak staircase, which was failing structurally, was repositioned and strengthened.
The Barn, also dating from 1678, has been carefully restored as a multi-purpose gallery, auditorium and artist performance area. The original tied oak-beam roof has been repaired and sensitively cleaned so that the vernacular space can be appreciated.