St. John's Church, LüneburgEdit profile
The Church of John the Baptist (Germ. St. Johannis or Johanniskirche) is the oldest Lutheran church in Lüneburg and located in the city center.History
The Church of John the Baptist is considered an important example of northern German Brick Gothic architecture. The five-naved hall church was erected between 1300 and 1370 and repaired in 1420. In the early 15th c. Conrad of Soltau, as Conrad III Prince-Bishop of Verden, failed to make St. John's the new cathedral of his see, since the city council and the Prince of Lüneburg resisted that fearing the political interference of another power. The outer structure was marked by rebuilding in 1765. Particularly striking is the lightly sloping steeple, which at a height of 108 meters is the highest church steeple in Lower Saxony. The stained-glass in the Elisabeth Chapel was made by Charles Crodel in 1969.Organ
The church's organ was finished in 1553 by Hendrik Niehoff and Jasper Johansen and rebuilt in 1714 by Arp Schnitger student, Matthias Dropa and in the latter 20th century by Rudolf von Beckerath. Among its noted organists were Christian Flor (1676–1697) and Georg Böhm (1698–1733). Noted Bach scholar Christoph Wolff says Böhm gave the young Johann Sebastian Bach lessons here during Bach's residency (1700–1702) at the nearby Michaeliskirche.
- (German) Further history of the Johanniskirche organ
The 108-meter-high spire of the church looks as though it is sloping from each side: the truss on the upper part is twisted into a corkscrew shape. A legend states that when the master builder noticed the mistake, he fell from an upper window in the church tower; however, he landed on a passing haywagon, so he lived. Feeling that he had been vindicated by God, the master went into a local tavern to celebrate. After a few too many drinks he leaned back in his chair and fell over. As he fell he hit his head on the stone hearth of the fireplace and was killed.