St John's Church, BergenEdit profile
St. John's Church (Norwegian: Johanneskirken) is a cruciform church in Bergen, Norway.History
St. John's Church is located on Sydneshaugen in the neighbourhood of Sydnes in Bergen. St John's was built between 1888 and 1894 in the Gothic Revival style. With 1250 seats, it is the largest church in Bergen.
In the year of 1888, an architectural contest was conducted for the design of a new church. It was built from drawings by architect, Herman Major Backer (1856–1932). The frescoes in the Church's ceiling date from 1924 and were completed by Hugo Lous Mohr (1889-1970). The building process was first lead by architect Adolf Fischer and from 1891 by Hans Heinrich Jess. The church was consecrated in 1894.
The organ was built by Schlag and Sohn of Wurttemberg. It was modernized by JH Jørgensen of Oslo during 1967. The altarpiece depicts Christ in prayer and was designed in 1894 by Marcus Grønvold. The church tower is the highest in the city at 61 metres. The main tower has four stair towers and a carillon. It was designed by Verein Bochum in Bochum, Westphalia.Other sources
- Lidén, Hans-Emil, and Magerøy, Ellen Maria (1980) Norges kirker, Bergen (Oslo) ISBN 82-05-12367-5 (Norwegian)