St. John's Bridge, LechladeEdit profile
St John's Bridge is a road bridge across the River Thames near Lechlade, England. It carries the A417 road between Lechlade and Faringdon, and crosses the Thames just at the lower end of St John's Lock.
The present bridge was built in 1886. The original bridge was built by a local prior in 1229 on the line of an old ford and there have been bridges on the site since then. For many centuries until the building of the lock, there were tolls for passing through the bridge. When the lock was built a new bridge was also built but this was in danger of collapse after a few years. It was rebuilt in 1820, but this version had become dilapidated by 1879 when the construction of the present bridge was ordered.