St John, Friern BarnetEdit profile
St John the Evangelist is an Anglican church on Friern Barnet Road in north London. It is a late example of the Gothic Revival Style by Victorian architect John Loughborough Pearson, begun in 1890-91 and completed after his death by his son Frank Loughborough Pearson. Originating in 1883 as a chapel-of-ease to Friern Barnet parish church it was initially a temporary iron structure on the north side of Friern Barnet Road and known as the school-church of St. John, on account of classes being kept there by the Friern Barnet Grammar School. In 1890 it was replaced by an iron nave on the opposite side of the road on land granted to the Anglican church board by G. K. Smith, who, with his son Charles William Smith, contributed substantially towards building costs. Although the chancel was consecrated in October 1892 by the Bishop of London Frederick Temple DD, building was delayed by a lack of funds, the nave being built in two stages and finally consecrated in 1911. Building of the eastern section was executed by Edward Abley of Salisbury. The church is crafted entirely of stone to an elaborate plan and modelled on a Rhineland chapel. The east end was inspired by the German Cisterian church of Heisterbach on the request of the vicar, the Reverend Frederick Hall, who had formerly been curate at St. Augustine's, Kilburn, another of Pearson’s celebrated works. The church comprises an apsidal chancel with ambulatory and south chapel, two north vestries, an aisled and clerestoreyed nave, and a western narthex or baptistery of one bay. In an early Gothic style, it is vaulted throughout and originally seated 500. The nave was completed over 1899-1901. The west end being finished to only a modified design in 1911. The projected north-east tower and spire were not built. The pulpit dates to c.1920. The stained-glass panels are by specialist firm Clayton and Bell - the east windows depicting the adoration of the lamb, the south picturing angels, bishops and St Paul preaching, and the north Protestant worthies. The chancel windows are also a memorial to the Reverend Prebendary Frederick Hall, rector of Friern Barnet, by whom the building was commissioned. There includes a depiction of the architect, Pearson, with a scroll of the plans. The church has since been afforded Grade II* architectural status by the English Heritage foundation, by which it is deemed a building of particular (national) importance and one of more than special interest. Curates 1884-87 Robert Bettison Barber AKC 1887-89 Bernard Day Douglas Shaw AKC 1889-92 Frederick Voight After which time the rector of Friern Barnet resumed charge. The Rev Frederick Hall from 1892”“1902, and his son the Rev Edward Gage Hall from 1902-1940.