St James Old CathedralEdit profile
St James originally stood near the corner of Collins St and William St in the centre of the town (where there is still a small street called St James Lane). In 1848 Melbourne became an Anglican diocese, and St James became the cathedral church of the first Bishop of Melbourne, Charles Perry. It served as Melbourne's Anglican Cathedral until St Paul's Cathedral was consecrated in 1891. In 1913-14 it was moved to a new site on the corner of King St and Batman St, opposite the Flagstaff Gardens. The move was overseen by John Stevens Gawler, a Melbourne architect who was largely responsible for establishing the School of Architecture at the Melbourne University. The church's current vicar is the Rev. John Sugars. The church is a parish partner of St. Jude's Anglican Church, Carlton.