St James' Church, InceEdit profile
St James' Church, Ince, is in the village of Ince, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Frodsham. Its benefice is united with that of St Mary, Thornton-le-Moors.History
A Norman chapel once stood on this site. The present church was built in the medieval period but only the tower and part of the chancel remain from this date. The tower by Simon Ripley dates from around 1485–93. The nave, aisle and porch were rebuilt in 1854 in Perpendicular style by Edward Hodkinson, and the tower was raised by two courses. Windows dating from the 14th and 15th centuries remain in the chancel.Architecture
The church is built in red sandstone with a grey slate roof. Its plan consists of a west tower, a five-bay nave with a north aisle, and a chancel with a lower roof.Interior
The chancel has a 17th-century oak arch-braced collar roof. The deeply carved altar table is Jacobean, and the altar rails date from the late 17th century. Also in the chancel is a sanctuary chair of 1634 and a two-tier candelabrum dated 1724. The royal coat of arms of Queen Anne are in the nave. The communion rail with twisted balusters dates from the late 17th century. In the chancel are two stained glass windows by Kempe. The ring is of three bells, two of which are dated 1622 and 1636. The parish registers begin in 1687 and the churchwardens' accounts in 1749.External features
The sandstone 19th-century churchyard wall is a Grade II listed building.