St. Ignatius Roman Catholic ChurchEdit profile
St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church is a historic Roman Catholic church located at St. Inigoes, St. Mary's County, Maryland. It and its adjacent cemetery are situated on about two acres of land that are enclosed within a late-19th century iron fence. The church was constructed between 1785 and 1787, with the sacristy added in 1817. The church walls are 21 inches thick, of brick laid in Flemish bond. Atop the roof is a small wooden belfry that in 1933 replaced a larger one in this same location.
It is a direct descendant of Maryland's first Roman Catholic Chapel at St. Mary's City, whose communicants formed the nucleus of American Catholicism.
St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.