St. Gregory the Illuminator's Church, BakuEdit profile
St. Gregory the Illuminator's Church (Azerbaijani: Erməni Kilsəsi, Armenian: Սուրբ Գրիգոր Լուսաւորիչի Եկեղեցի – Surb Grigor Lusavorichi Yekeghetsi) is a non-functioning Armenian Apostolic church in downtown Baku, Azerbaijan. It was built in 1887 and survived through the radical secular age of Sovietization. Unlike many places of worship that were subject to demolition throughout the Soviet Union in the 1920s and the 1930s, St. Gregory the Illuminator's Church remained standing, and religious services for the local Armenian community were not banned. In 1990, during the exodus and deportation of the Armenian population from Azerbaijan (as a result of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict), the church was closed down.
Now the library of the church consisting of 5,000 books and manuscripts has been preserved, and the building underwent renovation in 2004. As of now, its future status remains undetermined.