St. Francis Xavier ChurchEdit profile
St. Francis Xavier Church is located at 607 Sycamore Street, Cincinnati, Ohio. This was the location of the first diocesan cathedral and the center of early Roman Catholic life in Cincinnati. It was dedicated to St. Peter on December 17, 1826. "Christ Church" (founded 1819), the city's first Catholic church was located at Vine and Liberty streets. Its frame building was moved on wheels to Sycamore Street in 1826 to serve as the first seminary. Saint Francis Seraph Church now is on the former site, on land purchased from James Findlay.
St. Francis Xavier has existed as its own parish since 1845 when the cathedral was moved to Saint Peter In Chains Cathedral at Eight & Plum Streets. The parish has been under the direction of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) since 1840. The present brick edifice with stone facing and ornate clock tower was built in 1860.
Xavier University and St. Xavier High School were founded next to the St. Xavier Church.
Today the church serves the downtown community.