St Enoch station was a mainline railway station in the city of Glasgow, Scotland between 1876 and 1966, before it was eventually demolished in 1977.

Located on St Enoch Square in the city centre, it was opened by the City of Glasgow Union Railway, in 1876. The first passenger train stopped there on 1 May 1876 and the official opening took place on 17 October 1876. In 1883 it was taken over by the Glasgow and South Western Railway and it became their head quarters. It was the site of a rail crash in 1903 in which 16 passengers were killed and 64 injured when a train overran the buffers. In the 1923 grouping it was taken over and then operated by the London Midland and Scottish Railway. After the nationalisation of the United Kingdom rail network, the station was run by British Railways. It was a large station with 12 platforms and two impressive semi-cylindrical glass/iron roofed train sheds. The station was closed on 27 June 1966 as part of the rationalisation of the railway system undertaken by Dr Richard Beeching; upon closure its 250 trains and 23,000 passengers a day were diverted to Central. The roofs of the structure were demolished, despite protests, in 1977. The clock that was suspended from the roof of the station was saved from destruction and is now on display in Cumbernauld Town Centre. The St Enoch Hotel which fronted the station was also demolished in 1977.

Current site
The site of the station is now occupied by another glass structure, the St Enoch Centre, a large shopping centre. The remains of the station and hotel were used to help in fill the Queen's Dock, today the home of the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC). The red sandstone ticket hall which stands in St Enoch Square immediately west of the shopping centre is not part of the former rail station, but is the former ticket hall for the adjacent St Enoch subway station on the Glasgow Subway. Though the mainline station is gone, parts of the arcaded approach embankments (now containing shops and restaurants) can be seen to the east of the shopping centre's carpark on Osborne Street. Although these currently go nowhere, they once connected with the Glasgow City Union Railway and the City Union Bridge of 1899 which still spans the River Clyde.

Dunlop Street railway station
St Enoch station replaced a previous station close by called Glasgow Dunlop Street, which was opened by the City of Glasgow Union Railway on 12 December 1870 and closed by the Glasgow and South Western Railway the same day St Enoch opened.


Glasgow Central & St Enoch approaches

City of Glasgow Union Railway

Glasgow Central
Glasgow Central Railway

St Enoch

River Clyde

-- parts of former station reused as carriage sidings

Glasgow Bridge Street

Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway

Cumberland Street || Main Street


Eglinton Street || Southside

Polloc and Govan Railway
General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway

Pollokshields East

Cathcart District Railway

Pollokshields West


Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway

Cathcart District Railway Preceding station Historical railways Following station Terminus North British Railway City of Glasgow Union Railway Gallowgate Terminus Glasgow and South Western Railway Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway Gorbals Terminus Glasgow and South Western Railway City of Glasgow Union Railway Main Street


2 photos

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via