St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox CathedralEdit profile
St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral is an Antiochian Orthodox cathedral in Ottawa, Canada. It is located on Riverside Drive just east of the Mooney's Bay, south of the Hog's Back Falls. The pastor of the Cathedral is the Very Reverend Father Ghattas Hajal. It is located on 2975 Riverside, Ottawa, Canada. The congregation was founded in 1929 by immigrants from Kfarmishki, Lebanon. They originally worshiped in a church downtown, that is today St. Elijah's Housing. In part due to the Lebanese Civil War the Antiochian Orthodox population of Ottawa increased dramatically in the 1970s and 1980s and the congregation began to look for a larger home. The land was purchased in 1975, and the church was built from 1990 to 1992. In 2000 it was consecrated as a cathedral. The Diocese of Ottawa today covers Eastern Canada and Upstate New York. Vesper Services are usually held on Saturday evenings. Sunday morning consists of Matins at 8:45 AM, followed by the Divine Liturgy at 10:00. The annual Lebanese Fun Festival is held in the parking lot every July and draws Lebanese and non-Lebanese alike from all over Ottawa. The Cathedral consists of many groups including the Teen Soyo Youth group, the Fellowship of St. John the Divine, The Antiochian Women and The AAA.