St Chad's Church, FarndonEdit profile
St Chad's Church, Farndon, is in the village of Farndon, Cheshire, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Malpas. Its benefice is combined with that of St Mary, Coddington.History
A church was present on the site at the time of the survey for the Domesday Book and it is likely that Saxon churches had previously been there. The base of the tower and the plan of the church date from the 14th century although around 1622 the historian Webb described it as "a fair new church". During the civil war the church was badly damaged. In 1643 it was being used as a barracks for the Parliamentarians under Sir William Brereton when it was attacked by Royalists. During the battle the church was set on fire. It continued to be used by the Parliamentarians until 1645 when it was abandoned and left derelict. Apart from the tower the church was completely rebuilt in 1658 by William Barnston. Further restorations were carried out in the 19th and 20th centuries. The 19th-century restoration was carried out by Kelly and Edwards, other than the southeast chapel which was by John Douglas.Architecture
The church is built in red sandstone with grey slate roofs. The lower three stages of the tower date from the 14th century and the top section dates from the 17th century. The plan of the church consists of a nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, a chancel and a north porch. Protruding from the east end of the south wall are a vestry and the Barnston chapel. The tower is at the west end.Interior
The furniture includes a 17th-century holy table, and a parish chest dated 1729. Three benefaction boards are dated 1672, 1786 and 1838. In the Barnston chapel is the Civil War window which depicts some of the Cheshire Royalists. The chapel also contains wall memorials to the members of the Barnston family, including two Randle Holme memorial boards. The ring consists of eight bells, all cast in 1841 by John Taylor and Company. The parish registers begin in 1603 and the churchwardens' accounts in 1744.External features
A pair of table tombs in the churchyard are listed Grade II. They are of yellow sandstone and date from the early 18th century. On one is an image of an hourglass, on the other a skull and crossbones. A sundial in the churchyard is dated 1793.