St Chad's Church, Far HeadingleyEdit profile
St Chad's Church, Far Headingley is the parish church of Far Headingley in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The dedication is to Chad of Mercia, who was bishop of York and died in AD 672.
The church was built in 1868, on land given by the Beckett family of Kirkstall Grange who paid £10,000 towards it. The architects were Edmund Beckett Denison and W H Crossland. The church is Grade II* listed. It is set back from the busy Otley Road, with a cricket field and the parish war memorial (Grade II listed) nearer the road.
The organ was built in 1911 by Harrison & Harrison of Durham.Church life
There are two or three services every Sunday and a midweek communion service. For up to date information the church website should be consulted.
The church has a branch of the Mothers' Union, Scout groups for various ages, a drama group, lunch club and other social activities.
The church works with St Michael's, the parish church of the adjacent parish of Headingley, for example by holding early Sunday communion services alternately. Through Churches Together in Headingley the church has links with Christians of many other denominations locally.
St Chad's has won an "Eco-congregation" award, and in November 2007 the church won the Church Times national award for biodiversity in recognition of its wildlife-friendly churchyard.