St. Cecilia's Church and ConventEdit profile
St. Cecilia's Church and Convent is a Roman Catholic parish church and convent in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York and a historic site in Manhattan, located at East 106th Street between Park Avenue and Lexington Avenue, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1873. It has been staffed by the Redemptorist Fathers since 1939. The church was designated a New York City landmark in 1976. The church and convent was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Buildings
The parish was established in 1883. The church was built 1883 to designs by Napoleon LeBrun & Sons. The AIA Guide to New York City (2010) describes the church as an "ornate brick and terra-cotta facade is one of East Harlem's special treasures. Neo-Italian Romanesque, it has an exuberance that evaded most of Northern Europe." The church was built 1883-1887 to the designs of Napoleon LeBrun & Sons, the Regina Angelorum (unified facade) was built 1907 to the designs of Neville & Bagge In 1927, the church built a four-storey brick dwelling house at 123-25 East 105th Street to designs by Thomas J. Duff of 348 West 14th Street for $60,000.
It was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Location question
Although the Register's database claims that its address is 112-120 East 160th St., it is actually located along the south side of 106th Street between Lexington and Park Aves. The AIA Guide to New York City (2010) gives the address as 122-120 East 106th Street, between Park and Lexington Avenues. The Guide to NYC Landmarks (2007) claims the address as 112-120 East 106th Street. Directories from the late nineteenth century gave the address as East 106th Street, near Lexington Avenue.