St Botolph-without-Bishopsgate

Edit profile
St Botolph-without-Bishopsgate
St Botolph-without-Bishopsgate is a Church of England church in the City of London, first mentioned in 1212 and dedicated to St Botolph. The nearest London Underground station is Liverpool Street.

The church is situated on Bishopsgate, outside where the former gate stood, near Liverpool Street station. Adjoining the buildings is a substantial churchyard " running along the back of Wormwood Street, the former course of London Wall " and a former school . The church is linked with the Worshipful Company of Bowyers. Christian worship on this site may have Roman origins, though this is not fully proven. At one point the satirist and essayist Stephen Gosson was rector. The present church (the fourth on the site) was completed by George Dance the Elder in 1725 , the previous one having survived the Great Fire of London in 1666 only to be demolished in 1725. During construction, the foundations of the original Anglo-Saxon Church were discovered. The infant son of the playwright Ben Jonson is buried in the churchyard, and baptisms in this church include Edward Alleyn in 1566 and John Keats (in the present font) in 1795 . By permission of the Rector, the Antiochian Orthodox Church worships there. The church was designated a Grade II* listed building on 4 January 1950. Within the churchyard, the church hall is the Grade II, former Hall of the Worshipful Company of Fan Makers. It is a single storied classical red brick and Portland stone building, with niches containing painted figures of charity children.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via